Friday 16 September 2011

Album Review: Nero - Welcome Reality

For the past year or so, I have kept hearing music and then saying - "this is amazing, who is this?!", and the answer was more often than not....Nero.  So I was quite excited to get my hands on their new offering, entitled 'Welcome Reality'.


Nero originate from London, and have just recently signed to MTA Records (owned by Chase & Status) - this makes perfect sense as their sound could easily be compared to that of Chase & Status.  Not that I am comparing them, as I think most would agree that C&S are on a whole other level.  It's awesome to see so many UK artists doing their thing and demanding the attention they deserve.

On to the album, overall I was pleased.  However, I will say one thing - it's a little bit samey.  Don't get me wrong, there are some huge stand out tracks which will blow your mind, but there's also a fair few that will go forgotten.  My personal preferences on the album are 'Innocence', 'Guilt' and the crazy-good remix of Justice's 'Stress', 'Angst'.  When 'Angst' first started playing I was a little annoyed to be honest, 'who the hell are these guys to be mucking around with Justice?!', but fair play to them because the track is easily on a par with the original, dare I say it - maybe better.

The album has a good blend of dubstep, drum & bass and house, some of the tracks have a particularly mainstream sound to them, which at first I hated - but ended up accepting.  The album is well worth a listen, as there are some awesome tracks on it, but just expect it to go missing in between them a little.

I'd give the album 7/10.   Have you checked it out?  What are your thoughts on it?


1 comment:

  1. Hey man,

    I'll give it 7.5 UQ's loving the dirty beatz at the moment!

    ReplyDelete