Wednesday 7 September 2011

Album Review: Gil Scott-Heron & Jamie XX - We're New Here

As this blog is about getting the most out of life, I will definitely be commenting on music and films regularly as they are a huge part of my life, and I believe this is the same for many people.  So expect the occasional album or film review.

I felt compelled to write about this album, as eight months into the year it is easily my favourite album of the year.  Gil Scott-Heron for those who don't know was a soul and jazz poet, who unfortunately passed away this year after falling ill upon return from a trip to Europe.  He released the album 'I'm New Here' last year, and Jamie XX from the popular group 'The XX' took it upon himself to remix the album and aptly rename it 'We're New Here'.  Three months after it's release Scott-Heron would sadly die.


The album is faultless, and although it has been greatly modernised and made 'current' - it still holds all the power and meaning that Scott-Heron brought to all his work.  The three stand out tracks for me are: 'Running', 'I'll Take Care of You' and 'NY is Killing Me'.  But every track on the album is incredible in it's own little way.  The whole album has a very unique sound which I imagine we'll hear more of as Jamie XX continues to rise in popularity.  It only saddens me that this combination of artists will likely never collaborate again.

The album is special to me for two reasons, firstly because of Scott-Heron's death in May, and secondly because it was pretty much all I listened to whilst I lost my NY virginity earlier this year.  Seems like yesterday I was walking down 7th, listening to this album, and every time I listen to it - it takes me back.  Check out the album and let me know what you think of it.

What's your favourite album so far this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment